May 2006


FOUR people have been sentenced for their roles in making a sick, sadistic video in which they tortured a teenage girl.

Peter Honeyford, 21, of Davenham Way, Janine Barrow, 39, of Coronation Road, Andrew Flavell, 19, of Rolt Crescent and Paul Flavell, 17, of Coronation Road, were sentenced in Chester Crown Court yesterday, Tuesday, relating to the incident in July last year.

The 17-year-old girl was subjected to a two-hour assault at the home of Janine Barrow, mother of Andrew and Paul, in which she was whipped with a cable, sat on and had her arms and legs twisted.

Police were called to the Middlewich house when the girl, who cannot be named for legal reasons, showed the video to her brother after concerns were raised that her body was covered in bruises.

Matthew Dunford, prosecuting, described the video to the court.

He said: “Peter Honeyford sat with his weight on her throughout and can be seen bending her arms and legs. She can be heard screaming and crying out in pain asking for it to stop.”

Peter Everitt, defending Honeyford, who was the main instigator of the assault, said the girl may have consented to parts of the ordeal. He said: “It doesn’t make easy viewing. It’s clear at times she was hurt but what is important to note is even though she screams, she doesn’t cry.”

Barrow – described as behaving like a film director – and Andrew Flavell both struck the girl with the cable and at one point a dog was encouraged to lick her.

Paul Flavell did not take an active role in the assault but was present during the two hours of filming and did not do anything to stop the attack.

Recorder of Chester Judge Elgan Edwards said: “Your behaviour was quite bizarre but it goes beyond that.

“The video shows what seems to me a perverted and sadistic attack on a young girl with her own needs.”

Honeyford was sent to prison for eight months while Barrow was given a six-month suspended sentence for two years due to the fact she has to look after her bed-ridden husband.

Paul Flavell was given a community rehabilitation order for two years and his brother Andrew was given a conditional discharge for two years.